Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Week # 3 - Trip 2: Wall Framing.

This was a good trip: I did not run into any problems with the car battery, and made considerable progress on the framing! It's hard to believe that only three weeks ago the contatiner was moved to the site...

This has been my longest trip so far (5 days and 4 nights). Days are getting shorter, nights are getting cooler, and rainy days are more frequent. I'm hoping ot get as many dry days as possible in september to complete the roof. The goal that I set for this year is to finish the framing (excluding interior partitions) and complete the sheathing (walls and roof). Then I should be able to put a tarp on top of the roof, and work on all the finishes (door, windows, interior partitions, etc) in the spring.

I was able to complete the framing of all walls and raised most of them on my own. There was one wall that had two openings and a long header which made it really heavy, so I asked a neighbour for a hand raising it.

On Thursday I run out of framing nails, so Friday I spent the morning cutting and laying out the remaining walls which we nailed and raised on Saturday with Katrina after she brought more nails.

The next logical step would be to start framing the roof, but I dont have a ladder yet, so we started installing the wall sheathing.

I made some errors in the materials estimating stage (I did not transfer some materials from the estimating sheets to the shopping list), so I dont believe I will have enough 2x4 to frame the interior partitions. Hopefully I'll have enough for framing the gable walls!

Here are some pictures from this week, Enjoy!!!
















3 comments:

  1. Great progress Daniel. Its amazing how fast things are coming along. Your making me feel guilty for doing more on my cabin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive Daniel. Now, if only Scott would get on and finish the roof on our place, before i come back next year ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet, cousin! I had no idea that you actually had the skills to do this kind of thing yourself. I mean, I figured you were SMART enough, but, wow! I love reading about your progress.

    ReplyDelete